- Download eMule with Global File Registry file take-down (site login required)
- When eMule starts up, it should attempt to connect to the "Big Bang 10" server (this server returns lots of Battlestar Galactica and Da Vinci Code results, and we've taken down most of those files).
- It may take up to 10s for eMule to connect to Big Bang 10, so wait for the icon at the top left of eMule to change from "Cancel" to "Disconnect".
- Once you're connected, search for Battlestar or Da Vinci
- The resulting display should look like this:
How it works
- When you do a search, all results are initially shown in grey
- In background, the Global File Registry DLL that we’ve added to eMule calls the GFR server, asking it for the take-down status of each file
- If the GFR server replies "this file is good" or "I don't know anything about this file" then the search result changes to the normal eMule blue/black/red color, otherwise the file stays greyed out, and cannot be downloaded.
- If you try to download a greyed-out file then the download will be blocked, and the alert message shown above is displayed.
The eMule that you’re installing here is exactly the same as the version available on SourceForge, except for these changes:
- The application is installed using the INNO installer instead of the original eMule installer
- The installed packaged includes one extra file, CKGFRs.dll, which is the Global File Registry DLL
- We set eMule to connect to the Big Bang 10 server at startup, rather than to one of the many porn-serving ‘spam’ servers which litter the eMule universe.
- So far comparatively few take-down notices have been issued by content owners via Global File Registry, so we’ve taken the liberty of ‘taking down’ a large number of Battlestar Galactica files that we found on the eMule network, and specifically on the Big Bang 10 server.
- The install package contains absolutely no adware, spyware or other bundled applications.